The 2008-2009 NBA Season is around the corner. Mike breaks down his top 8 teams in the West! Who will be the number 1 seed, and which teams are slipping?
1: 57 - 25 Los Angeles Lakers
Barring no major injuries to Kobe, Bynum, or Gasol, this team will be number one again for the west. The return of Bynum makes this team deeper and deadlier than before, and brings the much needed defense that was lacking last year. If Odom can come off the bench and be the 6th man of the year, this team will be down right scary. I think their bench is solid, watch out for Farmar taking a starting position away from grandpa Fisher this year as well. The best part about Odom coming off the bench is that it eliminates the amount of time he has to pick up stupid fouls and stupid turnovers.
2: 56 - 26 Utah Jazz
Deron Williams may be one of the most underrated point guards in the NBA because he plays for a Mormon team. This team, while not really changing much to its roster, is making waves here in the NBA. Why? Well first of all, AK-47 and Okur are both playing in a contract year. If they want the money, they better play their asses off. In addition, offensive rebounds, physical play, and interior scoring make this a tough team. If Boozer can stop being a chode, this team will be very tough to beat come post season.
3: 52 - 30 New Orleans Hornets
People know this team now, so I don't expect them to sneak by undetected like last year. One thing is definitely for certain: Chris Paul is legit. It will be a race between Chis Paul and LBJ for MVP this year. With the addition of overpaid Posey, this team has gained a decent 3 point shooter and a defensive ball hustler. Whether Posey can push this team into the WCF remains to be seen, but it will definitely be a strong team.
4: 50 - 32 Houston Rockets
I know, how can I put Houston below NO? Simple, there's no way in hell T-Mac or Yao is staying healthy for the entire season. On paper, this is a deadly Video Game team. The addition to Artest not only beefs up their defense, it provides some much needed offense. Houston biggest problem is that T-Mac and Yao are not getting any younger. They only have a couple years left before they are too old to hang, and this will definitely be the season they get out of the first round. Look for big help from Scola and Battier to keep this team in the top half of the West.
5: 45 - 37 Dallas Mavricks
Poor Dallas. They had their shot and blew it. A head scratching disaster trade for Kidd has only made things worse. On paper this is a decent team, unfortunately for the Mavricks, Kidd just blows. I'm so glad that Kobe didn't get his way and trade Bynum for Grandpa Kidd. Jason Terry and Kidd are going to need the season of their lives to keep this team competitive. Luckily Dallas is strong at the forward position with Howard and Dirk. It will be interesting to see how this team plays with their new coach. Either way, this team will be stuck in this middle spot until they trade Dirk or rebuild.
6: 43 - 39 Phoenix Suns
Phoenix is stupid. That trade for Shaq was deadly for them. It is definitely bold of me to put this team over the aging Spurs, but I'm going to do it. Even though Raja Snoob and Steve Nash are getting older, I think the addition of Matt Barnes could be their X-factor this season. This team also will be sporting a new coach, and really at the end of the day, they are destined to remain in the lower half of the top 8. No one buys them as a championship team, and will face another first round exit.
7: 42 - 40 San Antonio Spurs
Injured Manu. Grandpa Finley. Grandpa Bowen. Grandpa Duncan. Grandpa Vaughn. Grandpa Thomas. This team is just getting older, and I know experts are expecting this team to at least make top 5, I just don't see it. Manu is now more injury prone than ever, and he will continue to receive injuries as the season goes by. This team is just too old, too set in their ways, and no longer capable of being scary. If I'm the Lakers, I would be hoping for a first round match up with the Spurs rather than the Trailblazers!
8: 41 - 41 Portland Trailblazers
Oden. Roy. Outlaw. Aldridge. Rudy! This is the team to watch, they are young, they are talented, and they are going to be dream killers. Say what you want, I almost want to push this team to the 7th or 6th seed. I have high hopes for them, and I think they are going to be the new Golden State Warriors of the play offs. An absolutely dangerous team, full of potential, and definitely going to become an elite team within 3 years time.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment